Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian

She is a 7 week old Siberian husky puppy and has the dry

Customer Question

she is a 7 week old Siberian husky puppy and has the dry heaves and won't eat
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Aspen
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Aspen?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to see that Aspen is vomiting/dry heaving and refusing to eat.
In most cases vomiting/heaving is triggered by eating something they should not, too much table food, too many treats or something they find outdoors.
More serious causes of vomiting in puppies include viral or bacterial infections, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, congenital internal organ failure (kidney or liver disease), or a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction.
In a young dog, especially one that hasn't finished her vaccine series, a viral infection such as Parvo virus or a foreign body leading to a partial or full gastrointestinal obstruction would be the most likely cause of her symptoms, and both can be deadly. Not all dogs with viral infections run a fever initially, sometimes they are too weak to mount a fever response.
Because she is so young, she is dry heaving and refusing to eat and drink, and she is lethargic ideally she would see a veterinarian for an examination and probably needs to be admitted to the hospital for fluids, and injectable antinausea drugs and antibiotics now. Young puppies dehydrate easily and she needs fluids.
If that isn't possible for whatever reason there are some things we can try at home, but we cannot replace in clinic intravenous fluids and injectable medications so if she isn't responding quickly she should see a veterinarian promptly or she could become too sick for us to save her.
To try and settle her stomach you can give either:
1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours
These are acid reducers and may help her feel less nauseous and hopefully stop the dry heaves and improve her appetite. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary.
I would pick up all food for now and water for a couple hours to allow her stomach to settle after the acid reducers.
In a couple hours when you give her water make sure it is in small amounts only. If she drinks too much too quickly that can lead to vomiting. To get some electrolytes in you can also offer her a 50:50 mix of pedialyte and water. If she refuses to drink you can use a medicine dropper to force small amounts of liquid into her.
If there is no vomiting for 6 hours offer a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken or boiled, lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow and get additional fluids into her. If she refuses that, you can offer a little meat baby food. If she refuses both then don't push it, she needs hands on veterinary care as soon as possible.
But if things go well and she does eat the bland diet and doesn't vomit feed her the bland diet for 3 to 4 days then slowly start to mix back in her regular food, a little more at each meal. It should take about 5 to 7 days to slowly convert her back to her regular diet.
If she continues to not eat and dry heave even with the acid reducer, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), or has a lower then normal temperature (less then 99F), or has a tense painful belly she should see a veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics, injectable anti-nausea drugs, intravenous fluids and supportive care.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara