How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lisa Your Own Question
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 16308
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Lisa is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

He ate oreos, booyah age 8, 60 lbs, i think he will be fine.

Customer Question

he ate oreos
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: booyah age 8, 60 lbs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: i think he will be fine. very little chocolate in oreos.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 8 months ago.

Hi there, I am Dr. Kane, and I will do my best to assist you with your pet today. Please give me a moment to type up a response to your concerns. In the meantime- please take a moment to relay any other pertinent information. Sound good?

Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 8 months ago.

How many oreos did Booyah eat, and how long ago?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
my son thinks about 20-25 oreos. he seems totally fine, i am just a nervous dog mommy :)
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
wondering if inducing vomiting is even necessary. more concerned about the sugar/sweetener content than chocolate.
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 8 months ago.

Hi I need to make some calculations, so bear with me. Most likely it is going to be fine- just give me a minute.

Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 8 months ago.

Unfortunately I cannot find the amount of cocoa powder per cookie, however it is a very small amount since it is listed as the 5th ingredient on the package for the cookie portion. That is quite a lot of cookies, however! It can take as little as 2 oz of cocoa powder in a dog his size to have a serious reaction. The typical Oreo bag weight is 14 oz in total- so if the cocoa content in the package is greater 2 oz- this could be a problem. Due to the number of cookies- it wouldn't be wrong to take him in for vomiting induction- if the cookies were ingested within the past 1-2 hours.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i can just give him hydrogen peroxide
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 8 months ago.

You could try that if you like- I like to induce vomiting under medical supervision in case there is a problem. I am going to open this question back up for another expert to try and assist you better than me. I hope all goes well!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
thank you
Expert:  Lisa replied 8 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you.

The toxicity of chocolate is judged by the amount of theobromine in it. Milk chocolate (like the kind in candy bars), contains 60 mg per ounce of theobromine. The toxic dose is one ounce of milk chocolate per pound of body weight. For example one pound of milk chocolate is poisonous to the nervous system of a 20-pound dog. If you figure it all out, it ends up being that it takes 2-3 chocolate bars to be toxic to a 10 pound dog.

Even cocoa powder, the kind in Oreos, at the amount Booyah got, isn't likely to cause any problems. I've seen dogs in clinic several times who ate whole packages of Oreos with no effects other than some vomiting and/or diarrhea.

Of course, it is always better to be safe than sorry, and the safest thing to do is to induce vomiting in your pup. Details on how to make that happen can be found here: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/how-to-induce-vomiting-emesis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

The best thing to do is give him some peroxide. Then adopt a watch and wait posture. The symptoms of chocolate toxicity include trembling, nervousness, shaking, increased heart rate, panting, and worse case scenario, seizures or death. Dogs that eat dark baker's chocolate squares are at most risk of seizing or dying from chocolate, but I don't expect that to be a problem here with Booyah.

I hope this helps.