Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog is weak and I know he has a UTI or Bladder infection.

Customer Question

My dog is weak and I know he has a UTI or Bladder infection. I can't get into the vet until Monday. what can I do for him until then? He is 9 yrs old, English Mastiff
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Thor. I do know h has a bladder or UTI because my Doberman had the same urine look and smell to it. What can I give him to help
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Thor?
Customer: Not at this time
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

A UTI would be addressed by a broad spectrum antibiotic or one selected after performing a bacterial culture and sensitivity. Please note that UTIs in male dogs are always expected to involve the prostate as well which is important to recognize in intact male dogs who are more prone to acute prostatitis than are neutered males. Do you have a canine or human antibiotic at home for which I might be able to give a dose for Thor?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Unfortunately no antibiotics at home :o( can I give him cranberry juice or pills? Or some aspirin? I know the aspirin will not cure the infection. He is now starting to drink cold PowerAde to give him some electrolytes.

Aspirin dosed at 10 mg/lb with food twice daily or acetaminophen dosed at 7 mg/lb thrice daily may be of value. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen or naproxen. While cranberry juice won't be harmful it's been found to detach certain strains of E. coli from the walls of the urinary system in people; how it affects dogs such as Thor is unknown. Please continue our conversation if you wish.