Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

Our male Yorkie seems to urinate more frequently than seems

Customer Question

Our male Yorkie seems to urinate more frequently than seems usual,
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: he is eight years old
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: He does not seem to feel any pain that I can see
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?
Customer: His name is Winston
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Winston?
Customer: He original had a lot of trouble with Science Diet food due to allerigies
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 4 months ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear you are concerned about Winston. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help.

Can you tell me how long this has been going on?

Have you noticed any blood in the urine?

Any increase in his appetite or water intake?

Any weight loss?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
weight increase has been increasing over the years from 9 lbs to 11.4 now, drinks a lot of water, had bad reponse to
Science diet food for dogs with Allergies, he is now on a natural type diet with veges, deer meat for three months, now on
chicken for three before we switch him again, he is active when you want him to go walking and still plays with
dog toys, generally does what you do including being a couch potato, sleeps comfortably all night except when
hearing things outside, live in the country
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no blood in urine, had blood in stool when on science food diet, never again
Expert:  Candy replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information. Please give me just a few minutes to type up your answer

Expert:  Candy replied 4 months ago.

Increased drinking and urination can be due to many things especially in a senior dog.

It could be something as simple as a urinary tract infection, however when we see this accompanied by an increased appetite we become more concerned about things like Cushings disease and diabetes.

Kidney disease can also cause increased drinking and urination but this normally causes decrease or complete loss of appetite.

Increased appetite, increased drinking and increased urination does warrant a vet visit. They will likely start with a simple urinalysis. If he shows no signs of infection or the urine tests positive for glucose then your vet may want to do blood work to check the blood glucose levels and to look for any elevations that would warrant testing for Cushings disease.

I hope this helps give you some direction.

Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating so that I am compensated by justanswer for assisting you today.

Expert:  Candy replied 4 months ago.

Hello . I just wanted to check in and see how things were going and see if I could be of additional assistance.

If no further assistance is required please take a few minutes to provide a rating to finish out our session.