Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  Four years of small animal practice experience while establishing my own Equine mobile practice.

My 10 yr old Bischon Fries has been diagnosed with Cushings

Customer Question

My 10 yr old Bischon Fries has been diagnosed with Cushings & on Thyroid medication for 3 years, with no issues. Totally forgot to pickup refill. Her last pill was 3 days ago. I had assumed I could just pick up on Monday. However, almost suddenly last night, she began constant panting, restless, can't sit still, drinking constantly. But she is eating fine. From what I'm reading, all signs of Cushings. My question is, Could these symptoms Re-appear after only 3 days? If so, more than willing to take a day trip for her relief.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 4 months ago.

Good Morning, and thanks for the question:

Based on your description of what Crystal is experiencing, I would definitely recommend having her seen as soon as possible today. As she has had these conditions for three years and they have been well controlled with her medication, what you are observing is most likely the result of the lack of medication keeping her system stabilized. Three days is quite a long period of time without her medication, as it is needed daily to keep her endocrine (and many others, due to the Cushing’s!) stable.

Please have her seen soon, so she can get back to her normal, happy self.

Thanks again for the question, and please let me know if you have any further concerns.

All the best to you and Crystal:

-Dan C., DVM.

P.S.: One of the major warning signs that she should be seen is the constant drinking. This is a classic sign that can go hand-in-hand with Cushing’s, and thyroid as well!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
100% Satisfied!! Expert reply & explanation, literally within minutes.
But most importantly the satisfaction, & relief that only a professional can provide when it comes to our "best buddies".

Thank you so much for your kind words and accepting my suggestions. I sincerely ***** ***** Crystal will respond well to getting back on her medications. Hopefully there is nothing else going on except for her lack of medication. Your Vet may want to run some bloodwork just to be sure that all is as expected.

If you have the time, please drop me a note after Crystal is seen and is back home with you. I always truly appreciate knowing how my online “patients” are doing.

So thanks again, and I’m anticipating good reports!

Good evening! Just checking in to see how Crystal is doing. I do hope that you were able to get her seen, and that she improving and getting back to normal.

Thanks again,

-Dan C., DVM.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
nice of you to check on her. Yes, thank you, ***** ***** MUCH better. As a matter of fact, when I "spoke" to her Vet, he agreed with you & since he was not IN the office, he would call in her Thyrosyn. I immediately went to the pharmacy. I had stayed up with her the whole night before, she was in such distress. I RUSHED home so worried about her. However... she was literally sleeping like a log, complete with her favorite toy still IN her mouth! I, certainly was relieved, but furious (kidding)!
"Oh sure, all this & YOU'RE asleep!"
After giving her 2 doses yesterday, & 2 today, she is back to her "nosey" self. Tomorrow we go back to one dose, @ see the vet. Again, I am so pleased with your excellent service & timely response. I have already recommended you & to fellow
"pet parents".

Thank you so much for your reply! I am so glad to hear that Crystal is back to her “nosey” self. I’m also glad that you took the time to find “Just Answer”, and that all worked out well. It’s been a pleasure “working” with you. If you haven’t already done so, please click the “accept” icon, as this is the only way in which I can be compensated for my time and efforts.

Thanks again, and give Crystal a hug for me.

-Dan C., DVM.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Crystal. How is everything going?

Dan C., DVM