Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

He got very restless and upset during the night and s tummy

Customer Question

He got very restless and upset during the night and his tummy is making a lot of noise. No diarrhea, he's just very upset and cuddly. He's a 5 year old maltese
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Yogis
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Yogis?
Customer: Sorry ...Yogi
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Any retching, gagging, lip licking or vomiting?

Can he keep water down?

Any changes to his breathing?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, distension, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No licking, retching or vomiting, etc.
Not interested in water
Gums look normal. Breathing seems fine.
Tummy is firm but doesn't seem particularly distended. No tensing or tenderness I can see
He's not one to eat everything he sees and there isn't much, but maybe a pistachio she'll that he might eat, that I know of.
He had access to some table scraps that had a rich cream sauce. Don't know if he ate it or my other dog, or both.
He spends just a little time out in a fenced area where we don't really see.there are some plants out there. Don't know what they are. No house plants
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

I am glad to hear that you aren't seeing any of those signs I asked about.

In that case and since we have increased gut noises, we would be concerned that his signs are related to a mild GI upset or potentially a mild pancreatitis (which can be triggered by rich foods). Therefore, since he hasn't any severe signs, we can start some supportive care to try to soothe this for him. To start, you can choose to treat with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Afterwards, we can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). And since increase gut sounds is often related to good gut microflora imbalances, we could also plan to start an OTC canine specific probiotic (ie Fortiflora) to just ensure his gut bacteria are at optimum and prevent recurrence of these signs.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )