Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My puppy is sneezing frequently and has a runny nose. She is

Customer Question

My puppy is sneezing frequently and has a runny nose. She is a 13 week old French bulldog. Our 6 year old Frenchie also woke up with a runny nose and watery eyes this morning.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bulldog's name?
Customer: Olive
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Olive?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What color is the nasal discharge? From one or both nostrils?

Any coughing or breathing distress?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
From both nostrils and clear discharge she is sneezing occasionally. No coughing
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No coughing. Just runny nose and sneezing.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you there??????
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you,

I am and am actually typing my reply.

I will post in full shortly

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for your patience (as you can see I had quite a bit to type).

Now I am glad to hear that she has clear discharge and her signs are mild. As well, since we are seeing it from both nostrils, this thankfully makes foreign bodies less of a worry. Therefore, in Olive's case, we'd be most suspicious of viral agents (ie parainfluenza, adenovirus, etc) would be suspect and potentially allergies.

With these in mind, we'd want to consider some supportive care for her. Of course, any appearance of snotty discharges and we'd be concerned about bacteria and want her checked by her vet so that antibiotics can be dispensed. In regards ***** ***** care options, to start you can try to reduce the nasal irritation making her sneeze. To do so, you can take her in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear some of the snot congesting her You can also use a baby nebulizer. Though since they often don’t tend to like things held up to their faces, you could make her a little 'steam tent’ with your wee one in a carrier/dog crate, the nebulizer/humidifier next to it, and then cover both with a thin bed sheet. You could also do this in a small room.

Furthermore, to flush out the nostrils and reduce irritation within them, you can use saline nasal drops like Ocean Mist (but not anything medicated) to further reduce discharge build up. To do so, just tilt her head back and drop two to three drops in one nostril. Again not a favorite, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril. Afterwards, wipe away any discharge or crust with a damp cotton ball.

Finally, if you suspect allergies, you can consider a trial on a low dose of OTC antihistamine. Commonly we use Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) at a low dose (ie. 0.5mg per pound of her body weight twice daily) to reduce allergy induced inflammation. We like to keep the dose low, as they can have drowsiness with this medication (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if she has any pre-existing conditions or are on any other medication without speaking to your vet.

Overall, these are our main considerations for what you are seeing with your wee one. And if this has come on suddenly and is causing her significant irritation, then it’d be ideal to start the above at this stage. If you do so, but she doesn’t settle or you see snotty discharge, then we’d want to consider having this checked +/- having her vet dispense additional treatment if needed to soothe any nasal irritation and clear any lurking infection.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you. :)

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She had a vaccine when she was 12 weeks old and there is now what appears to be a cyst in the injection area. It is under her skin and movable. It is about 1/4 inch. We have noticed for about 2.5 weeks now. It is not getting bigger, but rather a little softer I believe. Is this somewhat common? I have read this could be an allergic reaction and thus, would go down typically in a week or so. However, this case it appears to be sustaining. I believe that vet wants to aspirate the nodule. What are your thoughts?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

Lumps post vaccine are not uncommon. We could see an allergy induced lump from vaccines but an abscess would be another concern for this. If it is not sore or getting larger then mild allergic reaction is most likely and they usually do settle within a few weeks (1-3 weeks usually). But if it doesn't then an aspirate is ideal to see what is there and ensure we address it properly.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )