Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My Brittany has been licking her paws and they are now

Customer Question

My Brittany has been licking her paws and they are now cracked and raw
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Casey and she is 12
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Casey?
Customer: No, appetite is good and no problems with voiding
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 4 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It may be that your dog is having an allergic reaction. An allergic reaction is often the cause when a dog is excessively licking and/or chewing their paws. Thyroid problems can also cause paw problems as well. It’s possible your dog has developed a secondary staph or yeast problem. If yeast you can try some miconazole cream to see if it helps but it isn’t a cure for underlying condition.

You can try baby socks to prevent your dog from licking them. You can also give your dog some Benadryl. The dosage is up to 2 mg per pound every 8-12 hours. Start with 1 mg per pound first and see if it doesn’t help the situation and provide your dog with some relief.

Here is a site on dog allergies

I do want to explain things a bit more. When a dog has an allergy they lick and chew at the paws frequently. When the area has been moist over a period of time, they can develop a secondary skin issue like yeast dermatitis. The yeast dermatitis also causes licking and chewing so it doesn't resolve on its own. Using the miconazole cream and preventing the paw licking with socks or an ecollar can help give the paws a chance to heal.

At her age, I would have a thyroid panel done to rule out a thyroid problem. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 3 months ago.

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. Let me know if my answer was helpful.