Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog blows s nose all the time, Doc, approx 18 months to 2

Customer Question

My dog blows his nose all the time
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Doc, approx 18 months to 2 yrs. Was a Refined pet. He visits a kenel frequently my son works there. no sign of heavy mucus.He is outside in a large yard as well inside the house. He has been doing this increasing for the last 3 weeks. Once he clears after the first 5 mins from lying down he stops.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Doc?
Customer: Has the care of local vet
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It's reasonable to assume that your dog has contracted an upper respiratory infection from the kennel but I also need to consider that a foreign body has found its way into his nose. Do you live where foxtails are a problem? Please see image of foxtails. If not, a broad spectrum antibiotic such as amoxicillin/clavulanate or doxycycline might be prescribed for 10-14 days as a trial. If you prefer, his nose can be scoped now to see why such "blowing of his nose" has persisted so long. I also need to consider viral and fungal infections and neoplasia in the nasal cavity(s) and scoping plus biopsy and serologic testing can clarify one from the other.