Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog drank about 1 cup of rubbing alcohol along with her

Customer Question

My dog drank about 1 cup of rubbing alcohol along with her bowl of water.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?
Customer: She seems a little hyper. She did throw up her food she had ate. We are giving her lots of water
JA: The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bella she's about 14months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?
Customer: Husky
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

Please check the type of alcohol in your rubbing alcohol and let me know what you find. Isopropyl? Ethyl?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's 91% isopropyl
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We took her out to the basin for about half hour. She drank a lot of water. Now we're in house and she's laying down. I'm assuming from all of the playing. She was sometimes stumbling when outside running around.

Thank you. Isopropyl alcohol is first converted to acetone. There's a significant risk of Bella beginning to vomit, become lethargic, show signs of central nervous system depression, ataxia ("drunken sailor") as you noted, disorientation, vocalization, or excitability as you mentioned. She should be treated as a critical care patient at this time. The alcohol is absorbed too quickly for inducing emesis to be of value. IV fluid diuresis, cardiovascular support and even mechanical ventilation may be necessary in time. Time is of the essence. If treated promptly we see a fair short-term prognosis (risk of complications), good long-term prognosis: recovery expected within 12-24 hours with treatment.

Please continue our conversation if you wish but I'd rather you were on your way to a veterinary ER.