Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

My dog has been treated rounds of antibiotics (albon 250mg)

Customer Question

My dog has been treated for coccidia for two rounds of antibiotics (albon 250mg) and still has . What other options would that be ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. I would like to assist you.

What are you cleaning with for coccidia?

Are you picking up and disposing the stool when in the yard?

Joan

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Don't know what you mean by one of my cleaning with ? Yes I'm picking up the stool when she goes
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

Are you using bleach and water or some other mixture in the home to help with stopping the Coccida?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She got it from a dog day care not from the house
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She ate another dogs poop
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

Cleaning floors, concrete etc., washing thoroughly with a 10% ammonia solution is the best and most effective way to keep everything sanitary. You can also use a 1:16 solution of bleach:water. Please leave the solution down 20 mins. I would use this where she poos too. Use a hand steamer because they die with heat. The Oocysts can stay alive 2 months on hard surfaces. Ooocyts are what you are fighting. They are the organism and can be carried in on feet or on the body. All bowls, toys and bedding need to be washed in hot water to make sure the Ooycists are being taken care of. I have seen some dogs go two times and more before they are rid of the problem. http://www.fidosavvy.com/coccidiosis-in-dogs.html

Joan

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not sure why my vet wouldn't tell me that . And how long my supposed to do this for ? How often?
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

As you can read in the link supplied it is important to clean well in this situation. I would clean until the dog has a clean fecal. I do not like taking chances with coccidia. As long as the coccidia is active, you should make sure to sterilize and clean well. The Vet may have assumed you were cleaning the areas. I cannot speak for the lack of information about cleaning after the dog with active coccidia.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chloe. How is everything going?

Joan