Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog is 12 years old has Arthritis in back legs I was

Customer Question

My dog is 12 years old has Arthritis in back legs I was helping her through the door and I tripped and we both fell she will not put any weight at all on her front leg I can't get her to the vet until,Tuesday
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes I didn't see anything when I touch her leg it's as if she has no movement in it I do not,know if she dislocated something I have been using a towel under her belly to,get her outside to go to the bathroom
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: She is,not crying or anything
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: She has megaesophagus she acquired that two years ago her back legs are weak due to,arthritis she is on cephalon in melodic am trauma doll and gabapentin twice daily
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: I have tried icing her leg to if they dislocate something can it be popped back in
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Do you mean she cannot move the leg on her own at all?

Where are you icing or think she has injured on the leg?

If you tickle her between her toe pads or pinch her toe on this leg (do so with care, of course), does she react like she feels it?

Did you mean she is on Meloxicam, Tramadol, and Gabapentin? What doses?

How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No she does not move it when I touch her foot she weights about 73
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

And what are her Tramadol and Gabapentin doses (milligrams)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Trampoline 50 mg 1 1/2 pills two to three times a day gabapentin 300 mg one pill two to three times a day
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

Now I have to say that I am quite concerned about your lass.

Dogs with arthritis this severe such that they are maintained on this main pain relief options, often take injuries hard and sometimes will need injectable pain relief or steroids to settle.

That said, if she has no feeling in the leg, this doesn’t suggest dislocation. Instead, it suggests nerve damage or possible spinal damage. So, we need to tread with care and plan to have her seen as soon as we possible are able to.

In the meantime, we can try adjusting her medication doses to reduce as much pain as possible for her and reduce nerve inflammation. First, I’d note that the Tramadol can be used every 8 hours. So, we can do this with her current dose or as she is 73lbs she can have up to 165mg maximum (~3 tablets). Otherwise, for the Gabapentin, she can have up to 331mg as long as she isn’t overly sedate.

As well, at this point, we would lean away from cold compresses and consider a warm one at this point. If you don’t already have one on hand, you can make a safe warm compress by filling a sock with uncooked rice, microwaving it for a few minutes, shaking it to distribute the heat and then apply to the leg as needed. Of course, with any of these since we have suspect nerve dysfunction, do make sure not to over heat of chill the skin.

Overall, your lass’s signs are most suggestive of nerve or spinal damage not a dislocation. Therefore, we can use the above but want to have her seen as soon as possible so that her vet can address this and give her a chance to regain use of this leg.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )