How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joan Your Own Question
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 17415
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Joan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ingested Bromethalin yesterday, was taken to the vet

Customer Question

My dog ingested Bromethalin yesterday, was taken to the vet within an hour of knowing this, they induced vomiting twice and then we decided to do stomach lavage, he's on IV fluids and they are doing doses of activated charcoal. They gave him a medication (not sure of the name) to speed up his bowels to try and prevent any additional absorption. He finally pooped and unfortunately there were signs of the rat poison in his stool. My question is if it was in his stool how much might have been actually absorbed into the blood stream?
Thank you
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

Unfortunately it is impossible to know how much was absorbed. The fact that is passing through is a good thing to prevent further absorbing of the chemical. This drug causes swelling in the brain, and all the Vet is doing is proper protocol, since there is no antidote for this toxin. It can have long lasting effects so the Vet is doing is trying to purge the system of any of the remaining chemical. The effects of this chemical if not treated is Lethargy, Walking drunk, Abnormal pupil size,

Decreased consciousness, Tremors, Seizures, and Death. The fast action in inducing vomiting the Charcoal lavage to bind the toxins was the best that can be done. Hopefully the fast action and the thorough treatment by the Vet, your dog will recover 100%.

Joan

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you a vet?
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

I am a Veterinary Technician for close to 40 years.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
From your experience do dogs do well from the treatments he's getting? This happened while he was visiting my parents out of state so unfortunately I can't be there.
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

In all honesty, this poison, has no antidote, and we do see some problems even if they survive. The big issue is it causes the swelling in the brain. There was fast action in getting treatment, and that is the first step in saving the dog. Absorbsion usually takes place about 2 hours after ingestion, so getting there quick, having the vomiting done and charcoal lavage to bind the toxin from being absorbed made a big difference in what could have happened if you had not taken the quick action. The treatment is spot on and it sounds like the treating Vet has experience with this situation and is doing all he can.

Joan

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, they induced vomiting twice, started half a dose of charcoal THEN took him back to lavage his stomach because they were trying to get ahold of me on oking the cost of the lavage. So I guess it's a waiting game now, right? I've read a lot on it last night and understand the mechanism of action.
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

They did the best they could. The Vomiting and Charcoal to bind is the first thing that we do in a clinic setting. He is using the fluids to flush the system, medication to speed the passing of stool, and medication to prevent swelling in the brain, so they have all areas covered medically. It is now up to your Dog to push through it. I will say an extra prayer. I have seen dogs recover, so I am hoping for that in this situation.

Joan

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm not sure on the meds to prevent brain swelling so I guess thats something I need to ask.
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

Yes, very important to ask questions. There are no stupid questions and you should know what they are doing for care. From what you have told me they are doing all they can do at this point in time. When I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service. I would love some updates on recovery of your Pup. Please hit reply, for further help.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

Checking in to see how your little one is doing? Would love an update.

Joan