Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I'm as well. My dog is having trouble walking and I noticed

Customer Question

Hi, I'm Jane as well.
My dog is having trouble walking and I noticed there is swelling around the base of his tail and some tiny black dots around anal area
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Does he seem to favor any one leg? Or is he walking as if tender?

Any sores, swellings, or tender areas around the anus?

Any skin changes or is he itching/scratching the tail base?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can and post them, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paper clip icon above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, just post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me follow.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He will not let me lift his tail. He vomited this morning And is lethargic
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

If he won't let you check the area, we'd be concerned that swelling this may be due to pain and a sign of anal gland issues (ie blockage, infection, or impaction). Therefore, since this can be very painful and lead to gland rupture (which can cause peri-rectal wounds +/- blood in stools; it would be ideal to have his vet check this for him once he is open.

Otherwise, if he is also vomiting, we do need to trad with care. For the short term, you can try to reduce his nausea with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, Zantac (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though I would note that if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Further to that and once he is is steadier on his stomach, you can consider starting him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet.

Overall, if he won't let you lift his tail, then this would be our main concern for swelling and discoloration by the anus. Still, as he does sound quite sore and feeling generally unwell, we'd want his vet to check his glands +/- start treatment if needed to soothe his stomach and get him feeling back to normal.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )