Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

She is only licking one paw, mostly on the pads, but also on

Customer Question

She is only licking one paw, mostly on the pads, but also on top. She does not seem to be in pain because when I tried to feel in between the pads to see if there was a sticker in there, she did not pull it away. I did not initially notice any swelling or redness, but tonight I put both of her front paws in my hands, and it seemed like the right paw (the one she is licking) is warmer and swollen. While she is not limping or showing any signs of pain, she is far more content to stay inside and not go outside (we live in NM, so my backyard is concrete and rocks with some artificial grass.) I am guessing it is an infection of some sort, possibly a "fox tail" weed that got imbedded between her toes? I saw something on the internet that showed how those insidious things can work their way under the skin of a dog and wreak havoc.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes, but I don't see anything. Her right paw feels a little "rougher," but maybe that's because she has been licking it so much?
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Molly
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Molly?
Customer: She is 9 years old and used to be able to scale a 5-foot cement block wall, but seems to have trouble jumping onto my bed or the couch recently. That is worrisome. She is not overweight--very fit and agile, but no longer jumping like she used to.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has she had these signs?

Any actual lumps, ulcers, sores, or moist areas between the pads, toes or on the foot?

Any history of trauma or chance she steps on something with this paw (ie a stone)?

Any other paws affected?

Any new foods recently introduced or any new products (ie laundry soap, carpet powder, etc) being used at home?