Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

He just started breathing heavily and he acts like s throat

Customer Question

He just started breathing heavily and he acts like his throat is scratchy... He's eating and playful when not having an attack
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: He's 12, yorkie and his name is Koebe
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Keble?
Customer: Well he has PLE, diagnosed about 3 years ago... Took him to the vet last week because he had a case of vestibular disease. He's taking prednisone and metronidazole
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

Sorry my Information request posted on the wrong thread I will opt out.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't have a turtle...Ummm, I have a dog, he's 12...yorkie and it started earlier today
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

No worries. Jav917 inadvertently posted in the wrong conversation.

I'm concerned that Koebe has been immunocompromised by the prednisone and he now has a respiratory infection being addressed with a narrow range of effectiveness antibiotic in the form of metronidazole. I would prefer that he be administered a broad spectrum antibiotic such amoxicillin/clavulanate or doxycycline.

Please assess his respiratory rate while Koebe is asleep or at rest. He should be taking less than 30 breaths/minute. Please let me know what you find. Also, please describe to me what "acting like his throat is scratchy" looks like.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks so much, just sounds like he had a hair ball in his throat... So I have an appointment for him on Saturday but that was just to get a CBC..

Ah! I understand. Please assess his respiratory rate for me. It's an important factor when assessing if respiratory compromise exists.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It comes and goes, like a heavy panting for about 3 mins and that's it

That's acceptable. Persistent panting/increased respiratory rate is worrisome. He's otherwise well and so keeping his appointment on Saturday should suffice; it's only 36 hours away. Let the front office know that he's likely to be contagious so you don't sit out in the waiting room for any length of time. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I sure will, now I'm going to let him in the steam for a minute or so

Sounds good. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.