Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

I have a ten yr. collie that has been increasingly lethargic

Customer Question

I have a ten yr. collie that has been increasingly lethargic the last couple of days; periods when she drops her head and stands like a sleeping horse; temp now 103.2; just walks around panting; in air conditioning all day
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the collie. What is the collie's name?
Customer: Flora
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Flora?
Customer: she's dropping weight and incontinence.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 4 months ago.

Hello I apologize that no one has helped you sooner I just signed in and saw your question.

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help.

Normal temp is 100.5-102.5 for a dog . Anything over 103 really warrants immediate medical care. The panting and lethargy could be due to the elevated body temp. If she is also having some incontinence this combined with the elevated temp could indicate either a urinary tract infection or kidney infection. Kidney disease can also cause weight loss.

Now in some cases excessive panting can also cause an elevated body temp. Panting can be a sign of pain, trouble oxygenating or it can be a symptom of a disease process such as hypothyroidism or Cushings disease.

At her age it would be impossible to say for sure what is going on. I know no one comes her to the site to have someone say that their pet needs to be seen by a vet but in this case there are several factors that warrant a hands on exam.Her age, the panting and the elevated temp.

You vet will likely want to run blood work, urinalysis and make sure there are no problems with the heart. Depending on what they find on physical exam they may also want to get some x rays.

I would try to get her in to the vet as soon as possible. If going to the ER tonight is an option that would be best. If not I would have her seen first thing in the morning.

I hope this helps give you some direction.

Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating so that I am compensated by justanswer for assisting you today.