Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

Past couple of days he has been shaking s head, he had a day

Customer Question

For the past couple of days he has been shaking his head, he had a day where he was throwing up but that has stopped and at times there seem to be some drool but it's not constant....he still has an appetite, still playful, and his stool is's been extremely hot out and i wonder if it is heat related? he's a 10 month old golden retriever
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: no
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Mumford
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mumford?
Customer: No he's a pretty healthy dog
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 4 months ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear that Mumford has you worried. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help.

Can you look in his ears and tell me if there is any redness, inflammation or abnormal smell?

Has his appetite and stool production been normal since he had that bout of vomiting?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
his ear are fine
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
stool and eating habits are sill normal
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Candy replied 4 months ago.

OK . Head shaking is most often due to problems with the ears. This could be infection, something stuck down in the ear or just itchy ears due to some type of allergy.

Both allergies and ear problems are common in this breed.

What I would suggest is getting a good ear cleaner and cleaning both ears. You can also try oral Benadryl at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight every 12 hours. If he is having some itching in the ears due to an allergy this should help.

In rare cases head shaking can indicate dental pain.

If you have recently changed his food, given new treats or even some human foods this could have caused the vomiting and even itchy ears.

If the head shaking continues I would have your vet take a look at him.

Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating so that I am compensated by justanswer for assisting you today.

Expert:  Candy replied 4 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Candy replied 4 months ago.

Hello . I just wanted to check in and see how things were going and see if I could be of additional assistance.

If no further assistance is required please take a few minutes to provide a rating to finish out our session.