Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

She has diarrhea : She has diarrhea : No where : No : Yes.

Customer Question

She has diarrhea
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: She has diarrhea
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: No where
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is the dog eating normally?
Customer: Yes. Just has very bad diarrhea
JA: OK. No appetite problems. Is the dog having trouble peeing or pooing?
Customer: Could she have contracted worms from taking care of my kitten when he uses the bathroom?
JA: There are all sorts of infestations your kitten can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?
Customer: The kitten went to the vet a couple days ago and was said to have worms and was put on antibiotics. Her name is Maggie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maggie?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog having diarrhea. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

It is possible for her to have gotten parasites from the kitten. It might be a good idea to have a stool sample from the dog tested for worms, so the correct worm medicine can be used. Do you know what type of worms the kitten has? What medication is the kitten getting?

Diarrhea can be from many things other than worms: Stress, change of diet, infections. You can try giving some Pepto Bismal, or some Imodium. How much does the dog weigh? I can give you a safe dose if I know her weight.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They said it looks like the kitten has ringworms. The medicine they gave me was pyrantel pamoate 50 mg. Maggie was about 66 pounds
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

Ringworm is a skin fungal infection, not an internal parasite. Did they say round worms, or hook worms? Pyrantel is a treatment for round and hookworms, but not ringworm.

You could treat your dog with pyrantel. The dose of Pepto for a 66 pound dog would be 1 tablespoon twice daily, or 1 Imodium tablet twice daily.

Sorry I was not online when you got back to me. Let me know how she is doing and what other questions I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

How is your dog doing? Can I help with or answer anything else?

Was my answer helpful?