Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  Four years of small animal practice experience while establishing my own Equine mobile practice.
8634083

My vet put my 9 yr old Basset on flagyl liquid diarrhea.

Customer Question

My vet put my 9 yr old Basset on flagyl for her liquid diarrhea. She's had five doses, and her feces have gone from liquid to sludge to semi soft stool back to sludge and liquid.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the basset's name?
Customer: Emma
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Emma?
Customer: No, but the fecal sample came back clear. She's eating, drinking fine, no changes in behaviors. Just wondering how long the meds will take to clear up Emma's diarrhea.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 5 months ago.

Good Evening, and thanks for the question:

I’m sorry to hear about Emma’s recurring condition. What is most concerning to me is the fact that at first Emma seemed to begin improving, and now the stool consistency has gone back to its original, watery state (have you noticed any blood in her stool?). This could be indicative that there is something more going on than what your Veterinarian initially suspected.

I am assuming that since she is on Flagyl, that she has been on the medication for five days. Ordinarily, one should begin to have seen a marked improvement by this time, if the Flagyl is the proper medication for the suspected condition. Has your Vet prescribed any type of particular diet while Emma is being treated? Do you know what the initial cause of the diarrhea was? Is Emma prone to eating table scraps, finding old food or garbage outside, etc.? Has she ever had this type of problem previously? Is she of normal weight?

Often, dogs can be notorious for eating fatty or other “people” type foods which can often cause problems such as pancreatitis or irritable bowel, to name a few.

It is my recommendation that as Emma’s condition is not improving, that you contact her Veterinarian and inform her/him of the situation. If she were my patient, I would want to re-check her and perhaps perform some additional diagnostics, starting with some basic bloodwork and a repeat of the fecal sample (if there is an internal parasite problem involved, it may not always show up with just one sample). I’m sure your Vet would appreciate knowing that Emma is not responding.

Please feel free to ask any further questions, and I do hope that Emma gets back to her healthy self soon!

All the best,

-Dan C., DVM.

I just wanted to let you know that I’ll be signing off for the evening, however I will be checking for any response or questions from you first thing in the morning.

Thanks again,

-Dan C., DVM.

Good Morning:

I hope that I’ve answered your question to your satisfaction. Do you have any questions? How is Emma doing this morning?

-Dan C., DVM.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Dr. C.,Emma had grown worse by mid-morning. She was back to liquid feces, then drolling and vomiting her breakfast up, and then no longer eating. I took her back into my vet.Due to being unsure what Emma's true age is (she was found sick and malnourished out in an agricultural area, then brought to the local humane society where I adopted her), she could be anywhere from 9-11 years old. This is an acute illness (began one week ago today), Emma hasn't responded to the anti-biotic or bland diet. At this time, it looks like it my be tumor related. No ab ultrasound will be done due to the expense and my limited budget. So my vet and I are in agreement to symptomatically treat Emma, for care and comfort. Per my vet, Emma is currently on anti-nausea medication, the anti-biotic, and Immodium.Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your expertise, concern, and follow up.Kind regards,Susan

Thanks for getting back to me.

I’m very sorry to hear about Emma’s turn for the worse, but I’m glad that you were able to get her back to her Vet. I will be sending good thoughts her (and yours) way, and I do hope that she will recover.

Blessings,

-Dan.