Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog has multiple tumors on s liver. Besides diet and

Customer Question

Hi, my dog has multiple tumors on his liver. Besides diet and medication, he has been on his normal life routine. But Since yesterday he seems lethargic and a little off. I feel like his heart is beating hard and a little fast, but not sure if it is an emergency?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: he will just sit there and shiver. I am not sure if he is nauseas or in pain. Any idea what shivers could be? We head to the vet tomorrow
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Has he had any appetite loss, gagging/retching, vomiting or diarrhea?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Does he feel tender if you press on his belly or back?
Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?

Can you take a heart rate as well (just do the same but while counting heart beats, you can feel this if you put your hand just by the armpit)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
he has pale pinkish gums. He is still eating chicken and drinking water and peeling regularly but does not want to walk much. His appetite has been light for a while. He seems relaxed & is sleeping. His hear rate was around 124.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No vomiting or diarrhea. I counted 66 for breath
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The disease is in a progressive state so I just don't know what to look for or when it is serious vs dealing with a symptom of disease
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

Do you think those gums are paler then usual?

Does he belly seem distended just now?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
They look a little lighter I think. His belly has been distended since diagnosis
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We have a vet appointment at 3 pm tomorrow, at what point would it need to be sooner than that?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

I do appreciate that it will have been distended since diagnosis, but what I am trying to tease out is whether it is more so. The reason is because I am very concerned about his gum color with that breathing rate. He is breathing quicker then twice a normal resting rate. So, if he is doing that yet the gums are paler then they should be, this tells me that his oxygen uptake is reduced despite that elevated rate. And that rings major alarm bells of possible lung compromise (if the tumor has spread) but also internal bleeding (where bleeds lead to less blood in circulation to carry oxygen around the body). And both would cause him to reduce his activity and be lethargic.

Therefore, these would be our concerns here and I have to say that if he were my patient I would want to see him sooner. Ideally, as soon as possible. It is progression of his disease but we'd be concerned that he is starting to decompensate. Though if he is stable and has been this way for a bit now, you can monitor until his vet is open and can see him.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )