Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

I have a French bulldog puppy that is 9.5 weeks old. She is

Customer Question

I have a French bulldog puppy that is 9.5 weeks old. She is up to date on vaccinations but she has had very loose stools since I brought her home 3 days ago. Today she has developed a runny nose and a dry hacking of sorts. She hasn't eaten much today but has been drinking water and seems to still be very playful and active
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the bulldog will be able to digest that. What is the bulldog's name?
Customer: June Bug
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about June Bug?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I also took her temp. rectally earlier today on a digital thermometer and it was 100.6. Do I need to be concerned...I feel very concerned.
Expert:  Candy replied 4 months ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear your new little one is not feeling well. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help.

At this age even though she has had some vaccines she is not fully protected against things like parvo and distemper as it take 3 rounds of vaccines for full protection.

Loose stool in puppies this age is most often due to parasites meaning worms or protozoa such as coccidia or giardia.

The runny nose and cough can indicate an upper respiratory infection.

When ever a pup does not eat that is a concern because at this age all they should be doing is playing eating and sleeping. When a small bred pup does not eat every few hours they can not maintain the proper blood glucose levels and the glucose can drop dangerously low. They can also become dehydrated very quickly from diarrhea at this age.

That temp is at the low end of the normal range so that is not concerning. Normal for a dog is 100.5-102.5

Should you be concerned yes Unfortunately it sounds like little June Bug has not had a very good start and may not have come from the best environment. A good breeder would never let a pup go that had loos stool or any respiratory issues.

I would suggest getting her in to see your vet as soon as they open tomorrow. For tonight try to offer some boiled chicken or hamburger to get her to eat. If she will not eat or become lethargic, has any muscle twitching, shaking, or declines in any way then I would have her seen by an ER vet tonight.

I am sure with the vets help and your loving care you will get her on the right track.

Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating so that I am compensated by justanswer for assisting you today.