Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

She cant go to the bathroom, they say she isnt constipated

Customer Question

she cant go to the bathroom, they say she isnt constipated but her pushing muscles arent responding to push out her stool
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: taylor, shes 10
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Taylor?
Customer: they did xrays and found no blockage, they say that her pushing muscles arent responding
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear this about Taylor. Please confirm that she's retaining feces (which is a form of constipation) and X-rays found no blockage and no evidence of megacolon - a ballooning out of the colon and rectum seen when the musculature in that part of the large bowel becomes ineffective. Is there any other evidence of a myelopathy (spinal cord disorder) such as ataxia ("drunken sailor") or urinary incontinence?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?