Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My stafforsshire terrier has itchy, red, swollen and scaly

Customer Question

Hi, my stafforsshire terrier has itchy, red, swollen and scaly bumps all over her body. For years we thought it was food allergies, so she eats a no grain food, we are also careful with the chemicals used to clean the house. At this point I think more and more she has folliculitis and I'm looking for a treatment to help her itching and get her coat healthy.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the terrier's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is 7 years old. Since she was a pup she had skin issues.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maddison?
Customer: She had surgery a few years ago, tore some ligaments in her leg but when she was taking antibiotics her skin got better for a few days and then back to normal bumps and itching.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

Has she ever been on allergy medications?

Has she ever been tested for allergies?

Does she get treats at all, and if so, what kinds?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she has tried briefly but not much results, just a bit of comfort with her itching. She has been tested but nothing came up and the extensive allergy testing is way too expensive and there is no hopes of finding what could possibly be. And as for treats she gets half a doggie cracker a day, she also eats meats mixed with her grain free dog food.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Do you know what kind of testing they did?

Do you know what kind of medication they tried?
What is the cracker made of?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't remember the testings now, it has been some years and we tried Benadryl. The crackers are made of chicken meal and rice, and lamb meal and rice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have switched brands of foods and shampoos and house cleaners for years now and can't get her skin to be better. I hope it goes through, is one of the pictures of how her chest looks like, her coat is like that all around her body.