Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

She won't put any weight on her front left leg. She has had

Customer Question

She won't put any weight on her front left leg. She has had back surgery before.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Can't really see anything but she pulls away when I squeeze her paw
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Hadley and she is 4
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Hadley?
Customer: She has tested positive for Lyme disease but has had no symptoms for 2 years. And her emergency back surgery for a herniated disc.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 8 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

It sounds like she will likely need some pain meds/ sedation prior to her exam. This will allow the vet to determine whether this feels like a fracture, dislocation, back/ neck pain or a soft tissue injury.

If it's a fracture or dislocation, then x-rays will be needed. If the bones and joints feel stable, then they can probably just do some pain meds and rest for 1-2 weeks until things normalize. If there is back/ neck pain, then it should not require surgery unless she has significant neurologic deficits. It doesn't sound like that is the case right now.

My guess is that it's a soft tissue injury that will resolve with some anti-inflammatory meds (Rimadyl) and rest.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.