Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

He ate strawberry twizlers and has thrown up several times,

Customer Question

He ate strawberry twizlers and has thrown up several times, chunks or twizlers me liquid.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Cinni and he is almost 4 years and weighs 20 pounds and is a teddy bear breed
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cuinn?
Customer: He doesn't seem to have eaten anything but twizlers today. His food bowl hasn't been touched. He has been drinking water. Right now he reminds me of a child with a upset tummy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 5 months ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear that Cinni is not feeling well. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help.

When did he eat the Twizzlers?

Any chance he got in to anything other then the Twizzlers?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm not sure when he ate them. Sometime today. No he didn't get anything else.
Expert:  Candy replied 5 months ago.

Thank you.

Twizzlers of course can cause digestive upset, the bigger concern is that in some dogs this can also cause inflammation of the pancreas.

To help settle his stomach you can give either Pepcid AC at a dose of 0.25 mgs per pound of body weight every 12 hours or Pepto Bismol at a dose of 1 teaspoon per 20lbs of body weight every 8-12 hours.

I would not worry about him not eating as we would have recommended fasting anyway. I would just let him have a few ice cubes tonight to keep him hydrated ( drinking water can lead to more vomiting), give him something to settle his stomach and let him rest. Tomorrow I would start him on a bland diet of boiled chicken or hamburger and white rice or sweet potato. Feed this in small meals several times per day for 2 days.

If he does not eat tomorrow, vomits after eating or seems painful in his abdomen then I would have him seen by a vet to make sure the pancreas levels are not elevated.

I hope this helps and he feels better soon.

Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating so that I am compensated by justanswer for assisting you today.

Candy

Expert:  Candy replied 5 months ago.

Hello . I just wanted to check in and see how Cinni was doing this morning and see if I could be of additional assistance.

If no further assistance is required please take a few minutes to provide a rating to finish out our session.