My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
If this was cake style brownies the actual amount of chocolate in the box is less than if chocolate bars or morsels were consumed. For the sake of getting you an answer quickly, let me give you some standard information.
The first thing is to not panic. Different kinds of chocolates have different toxicity amounts. Chocolate contains theobromine, which is what causes the toxic response. If the dogs ate the chocolate recently (within last 2 hours), you could induce vomiting with 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide 3% per 10 pounds, which can be repeated 10 minutes later if it does not induce vomiting. Items such as cookies and cakes will have less actual chocolate in them as I mentioned , so you will have to make an estimate in the amount of chocolate that may have been in the amount of brownies each dog may have eaten. Smaller dogs will be affected more than larger dogs. Of course, any unusual treat can lead to some vomiting and diarrhea.
Signs of theobromine toxic poisoning should appear within 1 to 4 hours of ingesting the chocolate. These include vomiting, increased thirst, diarrhea, weakness, difficulty keeping balance, hyperexcitability, muscle spasm, seizures, coma and potentially death from an abnormal heart rhythm.
The following websites will give you’re the approximate amounts of chocolate that you will need to worry about based on the size of your dog and the type of chocolate. Consult this page to determine if a toxic amount has been ingested.
There is also an interactive chart available as well here:
If your dog has ingested enough to be toxic according to the chart, you need to have your dog taken to the vet for supportive care. Your vet can administer charcoal to absorb the toxins and let it pass through your dog’s system with less absorption and monitor your dog’s vital signs until the danger has passed.
You also should be aware of the fact that the high fat content in chocolate can also trigger pancreatitis in some dogs and you may wish to take your dog into the vet to avoid this condition developing and definitely keep an eye out for symptoms of this.. You can read about pancreatitis here:
As I mentioned, there may not be anything to worry about. Most brownies that are cake style don't really have a lot of chocolate in them. I hope this helps. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.