Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

My dog vomitted light with slight blotch of red (thinking it

Customer Question

My dog vomitted light brown with slight blotch of red (thinking it is blood) and some grass. He drank alot of water but no food since the morning. He ate some sausage treat I gave him. He wants to play with his ball. is he okay or is it something serious. He is sleeping right now.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Dr Scott

Hello again

Sorry to hear your dog is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

" is he okay or is it something serious? " : Well of course this sort of thing is always a gamble so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check him over without delay. That said that there are a number of home remedies for vomiting in the dog which some owners try before getting a vet involved, these can often work well for uncomplicated cases where a dog is otherwise reasonably bright and happy, { Playing with his ball in your case } where for example a dog has eaten something he should not have out in the yard, or has had some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has somehow acquired a minor tummy bug of some kind. Here are some examples.

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepcid to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food or given orally can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. A teaspoon twice a day is fine for a smaller dog ranging up to two tablespoons for a larger dog.

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if he deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side. However I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.