Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

He is vomiting and has diarrehea. I am taking m to the vet

Customer Question

He is vomiting and has diarrehea. I am taking him to the vet in the morning.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Is it safe to give him Emetrol tonight? He is a 25lb Corgi.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: He has been ill and has been seeing the vet. He has been having trouble with ihis red blood cells. His count has been low but was OK yesterday. He also has had some bleeding from his nose. The vet is Xraying his sinuses tomorrow and cleaning his teeth. also seeing if there are absesses there.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: The dog's name is Corgi. When my son got him , he was deciding on a name and so I kept calling him "little Corgi" and my son decided to name him Ckorgi.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Emetrol certainly would not be toxic to dogs so no problem there, however I do wonder how effective it would be. However if you want to try it you would reduce the dose based on dog's size in comparison to a person's size.

2. In terms of over the counter meds you may be better to use something like Pepto Bismol if there is both vomiting and diarrhoea, please follow this link for more info including dose rates : LINK

3. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.