Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My pup is lethargic and wobbly, one one part I thinks she's

Customer Question

Hi my pup is lethargic and wobbly, one one part I thinks she's just tired and her sugar is low. So I fed her (she ate a bunch) put her in her cage to sleep. However I'm also concerned because I caught her biting my peace Lilly this morning
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: She is a shiba inu, 2 months old
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear your pup has you worried. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help.

How is she doing since eating , did she peak up?

Do you notice any sores in her mouth, does she act like her mouth is painful or did she seem to have any trouble swallowing when eating?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She hasn't peaked up yet. I tried to give her more nutri stat and she didn't lit up as usual so I opened her mouth and put it on the roof of her mouth. She's lying down I put a blanket over her and a hot towel
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She ate just fine, no trouble swallowing but she couldn't keep her legs up underneath her
Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.

Ok. Any chance she got in to anything other then the Peace Lily?

What color are her gums?

Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.

Peace Lilys are considered toxic due to their Insoluble calcium oxalates but this would not cause the problems that you are seeing. When they chew on or ingest the Peace lily what we would expect to see is oral irritation, pawing at the mouth, drooling or having trouble swallowing so I think something else is going on here.

Let me know if the Nutri stat perks her up or if you can think of anything else that might have gotten in to. Also let me know if her gums are nice and pink?

If you could take a rectal temp that would help as well?

How long had it been since she had eaten when she became wobbly?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't think so. Her gums are pink
Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.

Any recent application of flea prevention, flea baths, exposure to anything new at all?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, she's sleeping now. As far as I know my roommate let her out the cage and she was running around the apartment all day but I don't have anything out that's toxic
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Her body felt lukewarm that's why I put a hot towel on her
Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.

Ok can you wake her up and see if she will walk around for you. Please do not take offense to this but any chance she was exposed to any medications or things like marijuana?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No. She hasn't been asleep for more than 5 minutes. Should I still wake her up?
Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.

Yes wake her up I want to see how she does now that the Nutri stat has had a few minutes to work

Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.

I also want to make sure you are able to wake her and she is alert

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She woke up but she can't walk
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She sat up and fell over
Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.

Ok. If she can not walk then you need to get her in to the vet right away even if that means going to the ER. If she did not get in to anything toxic then I would be concerned that she has somehow injured her back . Another thing that has to be on the list is Encephalitis or Meningitis all of which could become more serious or even deadly if not addressed right away.

I am really worried about your pup. I try to give at home care advice when possible but I really think she needs immediate hands on care.

I will be on until midnight please let me know how she is doing and what the vet says if you take her in.

Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating so that I am compensated by justanswer for assisting you today.

Candy

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Are you sure this isn't hypoglycemia?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She did not hurt her back I'm 100% positive about that
Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.

Hypoglycemia is corrected by getting food in them and a sugar source like the Nutristat, neither of these things helped which is why I am worried enough to suggest having her seen. Without seeing her I can not be 100% sure of anything but this would not be a typical presentation of hypoglycemia.

You can try keeping an eye on her but if you see no change at all with in the hour I would not wait. A pup can be injured very easily and if she is unable to use her legs I simply can not rule out an injury

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I gave her some more nutri stat and she was alert, and walked a lil. I just think she's really tired. She hasn't had a rest all day
Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.

Ok That is promising. As long as you can be with her then lets give her an hour and see how she does. I am glad to hear she is walking she really had me worried.

Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.

How may time per day is she normally fed? At 2 months she should be eating every 6 hours at the least to keep her glucose levels stable. Any puppy can have a drop in glucose levels but it is seen more often in toy breeds.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She normally eats throughout the day. I always keep a bowl of food near her. I'm encouraged by the fact that she woke up, jumped out my lap and walked to her bed in my room. I'm going to let her sleep for a couple hours and check on her. If she's not better I will take her to the ER vet tonight
Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.

Yay that is awesome news. Please keep me posted I will be on until midnight. Give her a good pet from me and tell her she gave us a good scare.

Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.

Hello. I am going to be going off line soon and just wanted to check in with you to see how she was doing.