Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

Stclair, my female rottie is 5 yes old , this is her 1st

Customer Question

Hi, my name is ***** ***** my female rottie is 5 yes old , this is her 1st time have puppies. She has had a total of 4 right now and they all have been breach. It has been over 24 hours since she had the 1st pup, she still is not eating, though she is drinking water. She did have some blood after the 1st pup...what's happening
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bella
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?
Customer: Not that I can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 4 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. I've been breeding rotties for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Puppies are not like humans and often pups will come breach. It really isn't that much of an issue when it comes to rotties. I really prefer a female whelp prior to 5 years of age and it can be dangerous when they are older than 5. She is right at that point when she can have problems with the pups making it through the birth canal. Since she has been in labor for over 24 hours, then she really needs to be seen by your vet. There should be no more than say an hour between pups with maybe a little more in the middle of the whelping. Pups are in the upper part of the Y shaped uterus. One side is delivered first so there can be a little more time between pups when the other side starts dropping down to be delivered.

However, it should not have taken this long to deliver the pups. Your vet can do a quick x-ray to see if she still has more pups to be delivered and if they are too big to be delivered naturally. She may also be experiencing uterine inertia and need a little help to strengthen the contractions. Your vet may give oxytocin to get them stronger and help the delivery proceed faster.

I really wouldn't wait at this point. Once she is done delivering, she should take care of the pups and start drinking and eating and acting pretty normal. Here is a site that goes over whelping and then some that go over difficult deliveries which is what she is likely having.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.