Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

I think it is a Pointer type dog over the back fence from my

Customer Question

I think it is a Pointer type dog over the back fence from my home and during the week and occasionally on the weekends when it's Master and Mistress are at work I can hear it whimpering and howling because I assume it is lonely for their company or needs something to occupy it's time. When they are home it is inside so it's happy.
When they are not home it tries to get in by scratching at a aluminum porch door with it's paws which I fear as a consequence cause a injury to these. Also I would like to mention that with Winter being here although a kennel has been provided it tends to run around a yard which is also provided. I think two warm dog blankets would be a good idea.
I do well I hope they care for their pet and the pet returns affection although the couple must notice the said scratch marks or they are blind or do not care.
The thing is I wish for this issue to be resolved for the owners' and pet's sake. I do wish to emphasize that I am only concerned for everybody's welfare in this matter and not in any way complaining about the situation.
I seek your guidance as to how I should handle this matter as a concerned neighbor and not to bring the council dog inspector or The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
Two matters if you suggest to see them I have problem with my physical mobility and I do not know their names to forward them a letter.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

I would personally recommend just taking the dog to a local animal control or rescue or shelter. They will often times house the animal and care for it while trying to locate the owners. There may end up being some type of fee for the service, but they would at least make sure the dog is warm and fed. If the owners don't come forward in a reasonable amount of time, then they put it up for public adoption. A pointer should have no problem getting adopted.

If you don't want to go that route, then I would personally go get the dog and keep it in your house until the owners come back. You can keep it housed and fed and wait for the owners to come back home. You can leave a note in their mailbox so they know where their dog is.

Lastly, you could just put a dog house and some blankets over the fence. You could also provide food and clean water daily. It's not the ideal situation, but it's a last option.