Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

She is running wildly around, panting and shaking her head

Customer Question

She is running wildly around, panting and shaking her head then rubbing her mouth along the carpet.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Millie a 2 year old Shihtzu. She had her annual booster this morning but has been fine all day. It just started an hour ago when we went up to bed
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Millie A?
Customer: She completed her medication for lungworm at weekend but has been absolutely fine
JA: There are all sorts of infestations Millie A can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years.

Do you know what vaccines were given?

Do you have plain Benedryl in the house?

What is her weight?

Joan

Expert:  Jennifer Van Noy replied 5 months ago.

I received the picture of Daisy. It looks like she likely has a "hot spot" aka Moist Dermatitis. This can be caused secondary to allergy, ear infections, or just because. We see it Retriever breeds most commonly. Don't get it wet, that will only make it worse. These are often smelly too and can spread very rapidly. I've seen dogs become very sick (septic) when it has spread over a large area of their body.

We all have our own favorite ways to treat them. A trip to your vet is definitely warranted. Typically we clip and clean the wound with an antiseptic. Depending on how bad it is, I sometimes also send some home for you to clean with wound with too. Also, an oral antibiotic and sometimes a topical is used. I would recommend getting Daisy in to see your vet ASAP.

I hope this information was helpful to you.

I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I’ve provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you’ve rated my response. I’ll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you. If you are satisfied with the information I’ve provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I’ve done my best to provide you the most accurate, thorough, and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you. If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance. Thank you for using our website.

Sorry, no idea how my answer posted to here!

Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

I am going to post the answer for Millie. I suspect since she had vaccines today she had a Vaccine reaction. It is important to get some some Bendryl into her. You can give 1 mg per pound of body weight every 6-8 hours. Please call the Vet in the to Morning to make sure that they know about the reaction. If the reaction gets worse, the see the Emergency Vet tonight, The Benedryl should help and also calm her down and make her a bit sleepy. I will be here all night if needed. Please disregard the other message posted it posted by someone else involving another dog.

Joan