Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

He is at home with the pet sitter and scared and growling

Customer Question

He is at home with the pet sitter and scared and growling and possibly trying to bite him
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Clutch, 15
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Clutch?
Customer: He is just old! Lol. I've had him since he was 1-- but he did come from a puppy mill were he was abused by a male. He know our pet sitter pretty well but I think it's because we aren't with him and he is male that he is having issues
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was wondering, can we give Clutch Melatonin to help calm him down? We will be gone for almost 2 weeks and have no body else to send over to help out with the dogs
Expert:  Candy replied 5 months ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear that Clutch is having some trouble with the pet sitter. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help.

I can tell you that having owned and operated a pet sitting business for many years this is not uncommon behavior. For Clutch he is just trying to protect his house. At his age he may also have some cognitive dysfunction going on which is similar to dementia in humans.

There may not be much this pet sitter can do if Clutch has decided that he does not want him in the house. A few things he could try is offering him a treat and talking to him calling him by name when he comes in. He could try taking a female friend over with him and see if she gets a better response.

I know this is difficult but we would not want to try any type of sedative at his age without you there and we do not want Clutch or the pet sitter to get injured. Now if your vet knows Clutch well you could call them and they may be willing to give something like Xanax or Valium to help calm him down.

There are over the counter calming tablets and calming collars that can be purchased at most pet stores that work well. A final option would be Melatonin but this can take a few days to really change this behavior. A small dog can have 3 mgs per day a med-large dog 6 mgs per day. If he wants to try the Melatonin make sure he gets one that does not contain Xylitol.

The over the counter products do work but may not be enough for Clutch so I would give your vet a call and explain the situation and see if they can call something in for him.

I wish there was more I could do to help. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating so that I am compensated by justanswer for assisting you.

Candy

Expert:  Candy replied 5 months ago.

Hello . I just wanted to check in and see how things were going with Clutch and the pet sitter and see if I could be of additional assistance.

If no further assistance is required please take a few minutes to provide a rating to finish out our session.