How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ana Bascunan Your Own Question
Ana Bascunan
Ana Bascunan,
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 89
Experience:  Small Animal Surgery Resident at University of Florida
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Ana Bascunan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog wallowed a #10 zinc air hearing aid battery. What do

Customer Question

My dog wallowed a #10 zinc air hearing aid battery. What do 8I do?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?
Customer: Nothing right no. She wallowed a #10 zinc air hearing aide battery a few hours ago.
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: Not hurting, afraid battery may be toxic.
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Did you see what your dog ate?
Customer: # ***** air hearing aide batter.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: No, she is chihuahua/Pomeranian mix, 1 and 1/2 years old.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Ana Bascunan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I'm happy to help answer your question. Zinc is very toxic to dogs and we should address this situation as soon as possible. Do you feel comfortable inducing vomiting at home?

Expert:  Ana Bascunan replied 4 months ago.

I hope your dog is doing ok. Zinc is a dangerous metal that can cause not only severe irritation to the gastrointestinal tract if swallowed, but also a condition called hemolytic anemia. This condition occurs when the body starts destroying its own red blood cells in response to a toxin (only certain toxins, Zinc being one). The end result is anemia (low red blood cell count), which makes it hard for the tissues of the body (brain, kidneys, other organs) to get oxygen since the red blood cells carry oxygen to the tissues. Signs of anemia include weakness, lethargy, decreased appetite, and pale gums. In severe cases we can see kidney and liver dysfunction due to lack of perfusion.

Since your dog recently ingested the battery, it's worth trying to induce vomiting. This can be done at home (if you want to do this, write me back and we can discuss). Induction of vomiting should NOT be done if gastrointestinal signs are present such as vomiting or diarrhea, as this can indicate that the battery has burst open and we don't want to spread the chemical further.

It also would be appropriate at this time to seek veterinary care for your pup. They will take an x-ray and determine where the battery is within the body. If it's still in the stomach, they may induce vomiting if they feel comfortable given her overall condition. If it's progressed past the stomach they may recommend surgery to remove the battery. Either way they will likely perform blood tests to establish her current red blood cell count and liver and kidney values.

I don't think this a case where it would be appropriate to watch and wait, as we want to remove the toxin from her body as soon as possible to avoid severe illness.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you need any clarifications. I wish you both the best.