Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has been throwing up foam usually but the past two

Customer Question

My dog has been throwing up foam usually green but the past two days white and only at night
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Took him to vet and they gave him metradazinol, and not that I'm aware of this has been going on for almost a week now
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Linus
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Linus?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How old is Linus?

Are these vomits in the wee hours of the morning?

Was the Metronidazole prescribed for this condition? Anything else?

Any changes to his appetite or thirst?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Linus is two. He vomits usually first thing in morning or wee hours. The vet checked his belly and he didn't seem to be bothered when she pressed his belly. No changes to appetite or thirst. He could have eaten something but I haven't noticed... Didn't see him and I'm basically with him all day. His gums are pink and he doesn't seem lethargic or not himself. I'm worried he has an obstruction but part of me wants to wait this out a few more days
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Metradazinol was prescribed for this condition
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you,

Now if he can keep food down, is passing stool,has none of those more worrisome signs, and only vomits in the morning/prior to breakfast; then an obstruction is less likely. We could have a mild gut infection (which the antibiotics will help with), inflammation; but given his history and the green/bile vomits this is highly suspicious of bilious vomiting syndrome.

This is a condition that we commonly seen in dogs that can occur at any age or sex. It arises when the dog's gall bladder jumps the gun, secretes bile before the dog has even eaten and this abnormally enters the stomach from the intestine. This causes stomach upset and the dog will vomit contents of their empty stomach (bile or saliva/froth). In a way, its his gastrointestinal tract getting carried away in its anticipation to eat.
With all this in mind, we can often take a few steps to settle these signs for affected dogs. Further to the antibiotics and since it is often more likely an issue in empty stomachs, we often can allay there signs but offering dinner later, giving a small bedtime meal or by leaving food down overnight for him to access when need be. Otherwise, you could also move breakfast up prior to the vomiting time (which isn't always practical) as that can often resolves the problem too.

Further to this, we can also consider starting him on an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the ones I tend to recommend are Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). For him, we'd want to use this at bed time to offset the morning nausea.These should be administered 30 minutes before food to give them time to absorb and take effect, and of course shouldn’t be used if he is on any other medication you've not noted or has a pre-existing condition without speaking to his vet.

Overall, based on Linus's signs, we'd would be suspicious that this is benign upset from his empty stomach being irritated by morning bile reflux. Therefore at this stage, we'd want to finish that antibiotic course to rule out infection and also consider the above approach to allay that stomach irritation and halt this vomiting.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet