Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dachound is limping favoring her right rear leg. She

Customer Question

My dachound is limping favoring her right rear leg. She really doesn't want to walk on it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dachshund's name and age?
Customer: Sadie 5
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sadie?
Customer: Sassie
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she been favouring this leg?

Any chance of trauma (ie falls, slips, injury, etc)?

Can she bear weight on it even for a moment?

Any sores, swellings, instability or boney crunching when you palpate the leg?

Do the joints feel stiff when you bend them?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She doesn't want to walk on it. She put weight on it for a second. Nothing seem out of the ordinary with the leg when I move it. I didn't see her do anything. She has had disc surgery in Nov 2014. Recovered 100%. Wags her tail.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I am very glad Sadie can put it down for a moment, since that makes issues like hip dislocation less likely. As well, with her holding it up, nerve and spinal damage are also less of a worry. Therefore, our main concerns based on your findings here would be a possible hairline fracture (ones involving the lower leg can be tricky to feel for since there are 2 bones and one often splints the other) or severe strain/sprain of muscles or tendons in this leg.

Now with this in mind and since she is resisting walking on it so much, we would be best to have her seen at this stage. That way we vet can pinpoint which issue is present and start dog safe pain relief (ie Rimadyl, Previcox, Metacam, or Onsior). Otherwise, any delay and we'd want to start supportive care for her. In regards ***** ***** the first point of call if you have not already, will be to restrict her activity. Therefore, we don't want her jumping on/off furniture, using stairs or doing anything that would exacerbate the pain with this leg. Furthermore, for the next few days, we'd want to rest her and just offer a few short lead walks in the garden to do her business and then back to resting.
As long as she is amenable, you can also warm compress her sore leg. This can be done a few times daily to just relax the muscles, soothe the soreness and help reduce any swelling. Just to note, you can make a safe warmer for use as a warm compress by filling a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Before use, do make sure to shake to allow the heat to distribute before using as a compress. (If it cools, you can re-warm as required).
Finally, if you feel that she is very sore and you aren't able to get her seen to soon, you can consider offering her a low dose of buffered aspirin. This is a mild pain relief that we can use in dogs in these situations (as long as we don't have a history of trauma) Of course, if she is in severe pain, then again we'd prefer a dog specific anti-inflammatory. Still, you can read more about using aspirin and the dose for her size @ And if you do give aspirin, remember to give it with or after food and consider pre-treating with an antacid (ie Pepcid, Zantac).

Overall, based on your description, we'd be less worried about dislocation, nerve damage or spine involvement here for Sadie but would be concerned about those remaining ones. Therefore, we'd want to take the above approach to ease her soreness and help her settle. And if she is very sore or isn't improving over the next few days, then we'd really want tos see her local vet for strong dog specific pain relief options to get her back on her feet and feeling like herself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )