Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal veterinarian
94503255

My dog is 10 years old and has diabetes. He has been well

Customer Question

My dog is 10 years old and has diabetes. He has been well controlled on 9units q 12 hours. He also has cataracts and cannot see. We moved to a new house over the weekend and today he stopped eating. He did not eat breakfast so I held his insulin. I tried throughout the day to get him to eat but he wouldn't. This afternoon I found him laying down and trembling with each inhale. I thought he was hypoglycemic and put some syrup on my finger and rubbed it in his gums. He seemed to perk up. He got up and went to drink some water. I put him in his crate for a bit. When I came back to check in him he had vomited a small amount. Mostly slimy and foamy. I let him out and he walked outside but still would not eat. Tonight he still won't eat and he's shaking again. I found the glucometer and his BG is 255. He still won't eat. I even tried hand feeding him some of his favorite wet dog food from a spoon. He still gets up to move around and change positions but not much else.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: No.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 5 months ago.

Good evening- I am Dr. Kane and will do my best to assist you with your dog tonight. It sounds like you have definitely done everything right so far- as long as he is not eating do not give any insulin. Has he ever been prescribed any anti-nausea medication in the past like Cerenia that you may have on hand?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No. He did just get up and drink some water. Still won't eat though.

Can you lift up his lip and check his gum color- is it nice and pink?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it is.

OK, good. Some dogs with diabetes can be more prone to pancreatitis- which is one cause of vomiting. However, there are many possible causes of vomiting, so he may need some testing done to help determine what is going on, and how best to treat him. If you are able to get him seen by his veterinarian first thing tomorrow- that would be best. In the meantime tonight- continue to let him have water. You may give him an OTC Pepcid tablet (famotidine), which is an antacid that can help with hyperacidity in the stomach. If you would like to give this- please let me know how much he weighs. Otherwise, call his veterinarian first thing in the morning to get him in- we don't want this problem to go on for too long, or his diabetes could become uncontrolled as well. Do you have any additional concerns to address tonight?

If you are all set- please provide rating for me when you have a moment! I hope we can get him feeling better soon, take care.

-

Please don't forget to provide a rating!