Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My puppy have sores on top of s ears,want can I do to help

Customer Question

My puppy have sores on top of his ears,want can I do to help keep the flies off his ears?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sampson
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sampson?
Customer: No that's it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 4 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

What you are seeing might be a skin condition (dermatitis) or be from fly bites, ear mites or even mange. Here is some information on mange and allergies

You can read up on allergies here:

Various causes are discussed here:

It may also be ear margin vasculitis which causes redness and sores on the ear edges. Tick borne disease and auto-immune diseases can cause this. A biopsy can be done to see if your dog has this condition. Blood tests can also be done to check for these diseases. An over the counter hydrocortisone ointment can be used to see if it helps until testing is completed if you think this is a possibility. Tacrolimus (Pro-Topic) 0.1%" ointment might help with any scabbing and bleeding with this condition. Some vets use this In combination with Pentoxifylline This drug increases blood circulation. These two medications together seem to work to clear up this problem.

You will want to get this checked out by your vet to determine the cause so appropriate treatment can be given. In the meantime you might try some Neosporin or triple antibiotic cream on them to provide some relief if it is bother him.

Now you can give him some benadryl to help with any itchiness and inflammation in case it is the result of an allergy. Benadryl is dosed at 1-2mg per pound every 8 hours. If Sampson is indeed under a year of age, I'd go ahead and get a skin scraping done to check for mites. Caught early, it may only take a few treatments to get rid of them.

In the meantime, triple antibiotic cream, neosporin and even vasoline will help keep the flys away.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.