Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

West i.e. 13 years old cannot relax. Keeps walking around

Customer Question

West i.e. 13 years old cannot relax. Keeps walking around aimlessly. I thought maybe a pain med would calm her down
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes no wounds. Just can't seem to relax
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Windsor
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Windsor?
Customer: She pants a lot and sleeps a lot
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

Aimless wandering in a 13 year old is more likely to represent an encephalopathy (brain disorder) than intractable pain. Both intracranial (within the skull) disorders such as brain tumor and extracranial (outside the skull) encephalopathies such as hepatoencephalopathy (a failing liver is intoxicating the brain) and uremic encephalopathy (failing kidneys are intoxicating the brain) need to be considered. Windsor's vet will want to thoroughly examine Windsor including performing diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. If nothing untoward is found, an intracranial disorder is suspected and at that point MRI will be suggested - advanced imaging I would be reticent to have performed at Windsor's age if only because I'd be looking for incurable disease.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.