Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Have a seven year old Brindle Boxer. and last three days he

Customer Question

have a seven year old Brindle Boxer. and for the last three days he has been panting excessively, paces around like he is trying to go somewhere, and turns around and does the same all day. and has had two major seizures. The vet did blood work and it came out OK.[don't know what it was tested for.]just maybe a low thyroid, the vet said it was not bad. He starts to cringe his face and shakes and slobbers excessively.[ best as I can describe it. is like when you put a lemon in your mouth.]and his whole body gets rigged.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Freddy. When seizures arise after the age of 6 years brain tumor is the most important differential diagnosis - particularly in the boxer breed which has a higher incidence (risk) of such tumors. His "cringing", etc. represents complex partial seizures (also called psychomotor seizures) while the "two major" seizures were likely to be generalized seizures (previously called grand mal). Blood work isn't expected to reflect such tumors. MRI is required. Instead of the antibiotic (Clavaseptin) and nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (Metacam), Freddy should be prescribed an anticonvulsive drug such as phenobarbital, levetiracetam, or zonisamide.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. I have to leave my computer for a few hours but promise to reply as soon as I return if need be.