Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal veterinarian

My dog has a lump about the size of a grape under her ear

Customer Question

my dog has a lump about the size of a grape under her ear near the jawline. It is not hard like bone but not soft either. she is eating, drinking and acting normal.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is about a year and a half.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bailey?
Customer: she likes to chew on bones and since finding this I have not let her have any more in case it splintered. If that makes sense
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 4 months ago.

HI there- I am Dr. Kane and will do my best to assist you with Bailey today. Sorry to hear she has developed this lump- but am glad it doesn't seem to be causing her any pain at this time. You are right to not give her bones- they can cause a lot of damage- sometimes do splinter off and cause abscesses- but can also break the teeth or cause gastrointestinal upset. For chewing purposes, I recommend something softer like strong rubber chew toys that they can't remove pieces from- I have found that "Kongs" work well. As far as the lump- there are several possibilities here. It may be an early abscess developing, or could be a growth starting to form. If it is not resolving on its own within a couple days, I would suggest getting it examined by her veterinarian. They may decide to perform a test called a fine-needle aspirate- which will help determine what is causing the lump to be there. Has this helped?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
how long should I wait? It kind of moves around too.

To be on the safe side- I wouldn't wait more than 2-3 days to get it checked out if it is not going away. Sooner if she shows signs of pain or unwillingness to eat.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The problem is that I am out of town and not near a vet I won't be back until the 20th of June. Do you think she will be okay till then if she continues to act normal with eating drinking and playing?

Well, it is hard to answer that question definitively- since we don't know what it is for sure. I can say that if it is not causing her any pain, etc.- it's probably OK to wait until the 20th- that's only a little over a week away. Watch it for increase in size, redness, or pain. This information will help your veterinarian in trying to diagnose the problem. I hope all turns out OK- Bailey is lucky to have you looking out for her! Is there anything else I can help with? If you are satisfied- please provide me with a rating when you have a moment.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you very much

No problem- take care and good luck with Bailey!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Rebekah Kane