Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal veterinarian
94503255

I have a Min Pin he is about 6 yrs old. Last nite he acted

Customer Question

I have a Min Pin he is about 6 yrs old. Last nite he acted like his back hips or legs was sore, He walks with his back legs stiff and humped over in his back. His appetite is good, he used the bathroom this morning, but its hard for him to come up a couple of steps and won't jump off the couch. He leeos sick in his eyes . and has hard tine walking in his back legs. Thanks Bob Payne
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bob Payne?
Customer: No he just doesn't feel like doing anything
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 1 year ago.

Hi there- I am Dr. Kane and I will try and assist you today with your Min Pin. Sorry to hear he is not feeling well. Since he is eating and drinking well, and not having any vomiting or diarrhea- this abnormal gait he is demonstrating could be an indicator of hind limb or back pain. I am leaning more towards back pain from what you describe with his hunched posture. We see back pain more often than we would like as veterinarians. Sometimes it is a simple strained muscle- but often it can indicate a spinal disc prolapse- which can cause a "pinched nerve". In more severe cases- the disc can impinge on the spinal cord and cause numbness and paralysis in the hind legs. It is important to keep him from being active until you can get him checked by his veterinarian. No stairs, running, jumping, or playing. If there are stairs to the outside- gently pick him up -supporting both front and back half of his body- supporting the entire spine, and only let him out on a leash for a few minutes at a time to relieve himself, and carry him back in. Keep him crated, or in a room where the furniture is blocked from him jumping on it. Try to get him in to see his vet within the next day or two. Has this helped?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does help but is it ok to wait until the morning

If you can get him seen somewhere today, that would be better- because that would get him relief sooner- they would be able to prescribe some pain medication for him if this is due to back pain. The other thing to be aware of is that if things take a sudden turn for the worse (development of paralysis)- I would recommend getting him seen ASAP- because this may require a surgical intervention to relieve pressure off the spinal cord.

However- if getting him seen today is not an option- just keep him restricted as I described, and get him in tomorrow. Did you have any other questions for me today?

I hope he feels better soon- he lucky to have you looking out for him! If you have no other concerns for me to address, please take a moment to provide me with a rating.

Please don't forget to provide a rating!