Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

He is a toy poodle who will not eat or drink and just wants

Customer Question

He is a toy poodle who will not eat or drink and just wants to lay around. When he moves or walks he does so slowly and today has started drooling and digging in his water bowl.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the toy poodle. What is the toy poodle's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is 10 years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tad?
Customer: He has been diagnosed with stage 3 heart murmur
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

How long has Tad been anorexic and lethargic, please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He started acting like he didn't feel well the first of the week but he was this way when I got home from work yesterday.

Thank you for the additional information. I'm concerned that at Tad's age he's suffering from one of the age-related degenerative disorders such as chronic renal or hepatic insufficiency as well as the geriatric malignancies we see. Drooling is a nonspecific symptom of illness but often indicates gastrointestinal distress/nausea in our dogs. Oral pain also will cause drooling. His digging in his water bowl suggests dehydration.

Renal insufficiency is commonly found in conjunction with cardiac insufficiency as evidenced by his stage 3 heart murmur and is my primary concern in Tad at this time. I recommend that he be thoroughly examined including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests at your earliest convenience. You should know within 24 hours how Tad might be helped. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?