Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My 12 year old shit zhu has been treated a year fever. She

Customer Question

My 12 year old shit zhu has been treated for over a year for valley fever. She takes fluconisol daily. Her symptoms are an almost constant dry, hacking cough and something that looks to me like a cross between an asthma attach and seizures that last for several seconds and then go away. When first diagnosed she had 3 rounds of antibiotics over several months. This initially helped to calm her almost constant coughing and hacking. It is a dry cough and it sounds so painful. I have been giving her benedryl for a few months now, and it does seem to help, but I wonder about whether quality of life is sufficient to continue treating her illness. I don't know how much pain she is in. What are the signs to look for when it is more humane to consider euthanasia versus constant coughing?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Oreo
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Oreo?
Customer: No, just valley fever
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 6 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question.

Although the only person who can really make the decision to euthanize your pet is you, I think the biggest thing you can factor in is quality of life. If your pup is in pain that you cannot control or alleviate, if your pup no longer does any of the things she likes to do, then that is the point in time where you must consider that not forcing the animal to linger on is a kinder choice.
I think that it comes down to is trying to put the dog's comfort above your own pain of loss. 12 is a very good age for a dog to reach so you have done very well by her getting her there.
At some point you may find the website
http://www.petloss.com/ and the rainbow bridge story some comfort. Hardest thing in the world about pets is that no matter how long they live its really never long enough, but making this decision for your beloved pet is the ultimate act of kindness...to end their suffering in spite of the pain and hurt it will cause you to lose her.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
how painful is the coughing for her?
Expert:  Lisa replied 6 months ago.

Although it sounds awful, and the coughing you're describing, doesn't likely hurt any more than it hurts you to cough when you have a cold or upper respiratory infection.