Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My female Rottweiler Cry's when she goes to pee she's eating

Customer Question

Hi my female Rottweiler Cry's when she goes to pee she's eating and drinking seems OK but I'm not sure if this is an emergency issue
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Harlow she's 5
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Harlow?
Customer: She had surgery a couple years ago for a tear in her intestine but she's been OK since
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she had these signs?

Is she trying to go often? Straining?

Is she passing any urine at all?

Does her urine look darker or more odorous then usual?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

I have not heard back from you but want to leave my thoughts for your return based on what you have told me thus far.

Now based on Harlow's signs, we do have a few concerns. Sudden onset of urinary discomfort coupled with small frequent urinations is most suggestive of a bladder infection. Other potential causes for this would include bladder stones, urinary crystal issues, and bladder growths (this one being less likely at her age).

Now in regards ***** ***** to this situation, as long as she can pass urine, this isn’t an emergency for her. (Not being able to would be) Though if she is very sore, then it would be best to have her seen by her local vet. They can rule out bladder stones and growths on exam and confirm our suspicions. As well, if you could bring a urine sample in (which can be a challenge if she isn't passing large amounts), this could be tested to make sure we have no crystals, confirm infection, and rule out other ongoing issues (ie diabetes, kidney disease, etc). If infection is confirmed, then antibiotics +/- dog safe anti-inflammatories (ie Metacam, Rimadyl, etc) would be indicated to clear this for her.

Finally, any delay in having her seen and we’d want to encourage her to drink so that we can dilute that bladder irritating urine. To do so, you can offer fresh water or even lactose free milk or low salt chicken broth. As well, wet food can be offered since it is 35% water. And you can even give her a few milliliters of aloe vera berry juice from your local health food store to help adjust her urine pH and make her more comfortable.

Overall, her signs are most suggestive of a bladder infection. Therefore, unless she cannot pass any urine at all, we’d want her seen urgently but it would not be a true emergency. So we’d want to start the above and have her checked as soon as we are able so that we can nip this in the bud for her.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )