Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

Blood is running from my dog anus : I really 't know, but

Customer Question

Blood is running from my dog anus
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?
Customer: I really don't know, but when I press on her side dark blood comes out
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: She's not hurting, she just still most of the time she's drinking water and she scoot around sometimes but not getting up
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Diamond and 6 months... And my vet is close now..
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Diamond?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry to hear your dog is having this problem.

Bleeding in the manner you describe is most definitely abnormal.

Sometimes they can get some blood in the stool from a number of things: different human foods, eating toys or foreign objects, etc. However it typically does not happen in this matter (it's usually a drop or two). Bleeding like this is something that should be taken care of right away. There could be a laceration inside the GI tract or your dog could have Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis (HGE), requiring a long hospital stay.

Regardless, the best thing for your dog would be to have Diamond seen by an emergency vet as soon as possible. Bleeding like this from the rectum can be life threatening for a dog or human if left too long.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK she was throwing up water and pooping water yesterday when I tried to get her to eat
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 10 months ago.

With vomiting as well, my biggest concerns are HGE and a foreign body that was ingested.

The vet will start with x-rays and some bloodwork to see if she should be hospitalized or if she can be treated on an outpatient basis, but I would have her seen today if she was my dog.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 10 months ago.

Does everything make sense?

Is there any other information I can give you or anything else I can help you with today?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No sir thank you, I'm taking her to the vet hospital now
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 10 months ago.

You are very welcome.

I wish you both the best.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for your help she passed e
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Away
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 10 months ago.

I am so very sorry for your loss.