Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I rescued a chihaw/mix 2 years ago, I have taken her to

Customer Question

I rescued a chihaw/mix 2 years ago, I have taken her to obidence training. I live in an over 55 complex and my dog growls and tries to bite people who come near me. I have tried everything to stop this behavior. She only does this in the complex. when I take her out to other places she does not do this.
I don't want to give her up but she niped someone and I don't know what to do except
try to get her to put on a muzzel?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome. This is just a short note to introduce myself or to request needed information for your problem. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

You mention obedience training, which can mean a variety of things, what did they tell you to do about the specific problem?

How is she with toys, food, bones or other items of value, can you or anyone easily take them away from her>

What other places do you take her to where this problem does not exist? How is it different when people interact with her in those places as compared to your complex?

What was the circumstance of the nipping?

How do you correct the behavior ?