Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

My shitzu has bilateral swelling on her rib cage that is

Customer Question

my shitzu has bilateral swelling on her rib cage that is painfula to the touch, soft and about an inch in diameter
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Daisy May and she is 1 to 1 and 1/2 years of age
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Daisy May?
Customer: I have 12 week old kitten that we adopted and Daisy May is motherly. About 2 weeks ago I caught the kitten nursing on the last 3 nipples. the bottom nipple on the right side is very swollrn. I called the vet and he said to get bitter apple spray so we sprayed it on he and the kitten quit trying to nurse
JA: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years.

Could Daisy Mae gave hurt herself or he chest cavity some how?

Could she have an infection?

Any breathing problems?

Joan

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No to all the questions. I'm an RN and this has me stumped
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

This sounds like Subcutaneous Emphysema, where air or gas becomes trapped in between the layers of tissues. The main causes for this condition include seepage of small amounts of air through lesions on the skin caused by some type blunt trauma. She may have hurt herself playing with kitten. Possible the kitten clawed or bit her and that could cause it. This under the circumstances is the first thing that came to mind when I heard the problem. I do suggest she sees the Vet as soon as reasonably possible to be diagnosed. If she gets worse and the swelling progresses, then an ER visit may be needed. If it was allergy it would be the whole body.

Joan