Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My nine pound Yorker accidentally ate her sisters, a 15

Customer Question

My nine pound Yorker accidentally ate her sisters, a 15 pound lab's, prednisone tablets he ate 10 mg. should I be concerned and what can I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

Your dog should be just fine, however I have worked out a fuller answer for you below ...

1. I would not be too concerned about this incident, provided it was just a one off occasion then this should not do your dog any lasting harm, he may be a bit thirsty for 24 hours but that's about all I would expect.

2. You see there is quite a wide dose range for Prednisone in the dog depending on the condition being treated, ranging up to 3 mg per pound of the dog's bodyweight. This would make a top dose of 27 mg for your nine pound dog so 10 mg should not cause any major problems. Here is a link to an accurate article which covers the use of this drug in dog's including dose rates. : LINK

3. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the accidental Prednisone ingestion ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.